Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Time Rolls On

Last weekend we went back to Kiowa.  Mike had a minister rotation and it made a good excuse for Jake and I to go home again. A year and one week ago, we were also back in Kiowa for Lee and Chel's wedding.  I bring this up because I was thinking about this and then had a moment stimulated from my view on my work desk that really struck me...

Who are these strange men in pictures with my sisters?!?  
I don't believe any of us would have thought 2 1/2 years ago that so much change could happen in such a short time. Yes, having lived in the same town for 18 years and then being in college for 4 and nothing really changing, 2 1/2 years seems like a blink.  It's curious to find myself at a place where the activities of the last two years have snuck-up on me in to a single "What happened?!" moment. Especially when going back to Kiowa seems normal to not have sisters around. I don't really have much more to expound on, just that I had a moment.  And then I moved on and realized that it's been raining really hard outside for the last half hour and I'm going to get really wet on my bike ride home.

Our route going back this time was through the town of Campo, located in the SE corner of Colorado.  Some parts of Colorado have had 300% of normal moisture.  That county has had 0 to 25% over the last 2 years!  It's BARREN.  We really enjoyed the new sights and lack of traffic though.  The route we took also "weaved" us through the beautiful Gypsum Hills of KS.  I always have to smile and nod thinking of the many unknown areas like the Gyp Hills when people laugh at how boring the state KS is.  They have no idea.




It's always exhausting going back, lots of travel and communication in such a short period of time.  But walking through a pasture budding with spring beauty and being startled by a jack rabbit or sitting on the back porch under a starlit sky or around the dinner table for hours makes my heart feel free and thankful that I get to come home to such a backwoodsy, off the beat and trail place.  I love the quiet.  I love the familiar peace that settles in.  I love going home.



I think the fohawk changes his looks completely : )




1 comment:

Unknown said...

It has been a long time since the field around mom and dad's house looked that green! It looks like you guys had a wonderful time