I lost my favorite head covering. So, I did what any logical woman would have done and googled for it. Just to see if any AC has set up her own headcovering shop yet! I was very intrigued to find all these links to differnt articles written about why women wear headcoverings! I should have been studying, but instead I was captivated with some of the articles. Below I grouped a bunch of the thoughts from some of the different articles I read. It will probably read kinda brokenly because of this, but I still found this very 'good reading.'
"In obedience to Sacred Scripture, many Catholic women wear some kind of veil or headcovering. Some wear a headcovering only at Mass. Others feel called to wear a headcovering at other times during the day, as well as at Mass. Many non-Catholic Christian women also wear a headcovering.These women are following the call of the Holy Spirit. Society discourages women from wearing a headcovering and from doing anything else which shows submissiveness and obedience. Yet these women have found the light of truth in the midst of dark times.The moral law requires all women to wear the veil on their hearts. A woman should not wear the veil on her head, until she is wearing it first on her heart. A woman who wears the veil on her heart accepts the place that God gives to women in the Church, the family, and society.The veil should cover her head, but not her face. It is first and foremost symbolic of humility, submissiveness and obedience.Some have said that a woman's husband or pastor is the covering. In the 20th century, some churches began to teach that the head covering is only the hair while others started to teach that the head covering was only for Paul's era. Still others have recongnized that what is being spoken of in 1st Corinthians 11 is a piece of cloth , but teach that woman of today need not wear it.Historically from the beginning of the Church and up until the mid twentieth century most Christian women have covered their hair at least for church services. Why? Because historic practice and the Bible said so. For much of European history, the head covering took the form of fitted caps.In America, caps, hats and bonnets have been worn for church and when going out to town until the the 1930's. A head covering is, in my definition, a piece of cloth worn to cover the head or the bulk of the hair of a woman either just during religious services or at all hours during the day.Most women who wear a veil for church services will site simple obedience as their motive. In a discussion on an online mail group list, the author discussed other reasons in favor of wearing one all the time. The woman is the representative of the church here on earth. She may cover her hair as a sign of the church's submission to Jesus Christ here in the physical world knowing that the Bible states that the Church is the bride of Christ. The beginning of the end for the covered was already underway by the 1920's. In 19th century America most women covered their hair when going out. They used bonnets and fitted caps to do this. In the latter years of the 1800's hats came into fashion , stayed in fashion, and have never become entirely unfashionable. The hat did, however, become an item of clothing that most people only wear for weather protection. We can still find fashionable hats on sale in better department stores. It has been said by some wise person that if even one generation stops a certain practice, it will be as if the practice had never happened. This is what happened to the head covering. It's not that everyone stopped this practice ; everyone did not stop wearing the head covering. Enough people stopped wearing it that people forgot that it was once worn by most women and they forgot why it was worn."The emphasis of Christianity is anti legalistic. Some people take this to mean that we should put too much emphasis on practices that are superficial. These people are correct that any practice which has too much emphasis placed on it can disrupt a balanced approach and can become an idol.AN ITEM OF CLOTHING CAN NOT AND WILL NOT SAVE YOUR SOUL.The head covering is a spiritual tool. Like any tool, it must be used properly by someone who is prepared to use it. If many choose not to use this particular tool, it will not damn their soul, but we must reflect on why Jesus Christ gave us this tool and on why we have thrown it away. Many wearing a headcovering have indicated that it gives and aids a unique witness and helps them to reflect on herself and her relationship with Christ. All who wear it have said that it helps to keep the mind and heart on Jesus Christ."
And after all.....isn't that what we're striving for??
sources:
http://www.expage.com/page/headcovering
http://www.kingshouse.org/headcovering.htm
http://theopenscroll.com/headcovering.htm
7 comments:
Yup! and It was on the Tent floor.
"The moral law requires all women to wear the veil on their hearts. A woman should not wear the veil on her head, until she is wearing it first on her heart."
Just wondering where it says in the Bible that it is God's moral will to wear a veil on their "hearts".
I'm not doubting or questioning. I know it is to be worn on the head and that is scriptual. But does it actually talk about wearing it on your "heart"? I love the illistration and it makes wonderful sense, but it doesn't ring any bells. If you know a refrence, could you please post it. Thanks and God bless
You didn't site any of your sources. Are there any "AC" headcovering websites (yet)?
Paul,
Very good questions. I will try to answer them with my understanding on it, which is limited. If you read the rest of 1 Corinthians 11, it says
“7 For a man ought not to have his head covered, since he is the image and glory of God; but the woman is the glory of man.
8 For man does not originate from woman, but woman from man;
9 for indeed man was not created for the woman’s sake, but woman for the man’s sake.
10 Therefore the woman ought to have a symbol of authority on her head, because of the angels.”
I think the author is talking about the moral law of submissiveness. Throughout scripture, we are called to submit ourselves one to another and most importantly to God. If we are to truly submit ourselves, we have to accept it with our hearts. True submission to God comes from the heart. You can’t fake Him out by acting submissive but not really being submissive. If a woman wears a veil on her heart first, she is showing God that she is ready to submit everything to Him. Then, when she wears it on her head, it is more than just a piece of cloth. It represents to the world that she is wholly in submission to God.
Disagree? Thoughts?
Mike,
Check this out! http://www.glamdoily.com/ No AC ones unfortunately though. :(
Hey Tif!
How'd you find me?:)
muy interesante mi hermana... gracias por sus palabras y sus mentes...
Sorry I didn't get back for awhile.
I agree with your undersatnding of it. True submission definitly has to come from the heart.
I agree with your understanding of 1 Cor 11 also.
I hope my original question didn't make you think I disagreed. I know 1 Cor 11 talks about wearing it on your head, but, I don't remember the Bible ever saying to "wear it on your heart". I understand the submissiveness of wearing it on your heart and agree with it. I just didn't know if the phrase "wear it on your heart" or any deviation of that phrase exsisted in the Bible.
Thanks and God bless
Post a Comment