Wednesday, September 13, 2006
I don't know how many of you out there have facebook. I have an account and have enjoyed keeping up with my friends from high school and from church. Facebook put this new thing in called News Feed. It highlights every single change or activity that someone has recently updated. It's very stockorish, but it's kinda addictive. While looking through some of the news feed's, I saw that a ton of my friends had joined the group, "Students against Facebook News Feed (Official Petition to Facebook)." I decided to go check this group out. Someone posted a topic under this group titled, "What Really Matters in Life (It's about God y'all)." He put a post under there to a link, that I haven't checked out actually, but wow.... in 4 days this topic has 3,868 replies. As I'm reading more and more of these replies, I have become more and more depressed. There are so many of my fellow college students who don't care about God, don't think God cares about them, have no desire to follow Him, or just blatantly refuse to believe he exists. One guy wrote, "The Facebook news feed is more important than God now. 50,000 members confirm it." What also has depressed me, is how some of the "bandwagon christians" are replying to this topic. Cory Metzger had a bible study called "Reaching the Lost, Sharing your Faith," on Saturday night. A huge point he wanted to hit home with us was to understand that we cannot force God on anyone. And if we want to reach out to the lost, it has to be in God's timing, not our own. God has a perfect plan for each of us, and he knows when people are soft to Him being a part of their life. Cory's talk also corresponded with Lynn Fiechters the B-town invite weekend about having a passion to be used by God. If we truly want God to use us to be a witness or whatever, we need to let Him know through prayer and actions. My prayer is that obviously everyone can come to know our amazing God, but I also pray that we as followers of God will let Him speak through us and not try to use our own 'wit' to win people over.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
I agree. The way to bring others to Christ is not to attack or push them into something they are resisting. Live your life for Christ and embrace his love, and pray they will see His love through you. Show love, don't just tell about it.
Check out the group "Turn us to God" it's another one to pray for, definitely. And be sad about.
thanks for the post, Tif... it was very thought-provoking...
Post a Comment