Tuesday, June 07, 2005

Harvest

I found my inspiration for blogging! Sunday night I came home to help my family out with wheat harvest! My grandpa Rudy, dad, mom, Chel and I make up our harvest crew. Grandpa drives the combine and has a blast talking on the radio. For instance he commented "I missed a lot of wheat, and I think it looks real neat," and "Wicker your buddy Chelsie, how full am I!" Remember me mentioning earlier I had a weird family? It all starts there! *wink* Dad is Mr. fixit. He goes around from machine to machine fixing all our booboos. He also takes over for my g-pa when his rear gets numb. Mom helps when she gets off work by driving the semi when needed and riding the combine with dad to keep him company. I'm pretty sure they think it is romantic. hmmm Chelsie drives the grain cart. She sits in a nice cold cab all day and drives back and forth from combine to truck. Her skills are just amazing. I drive Fast Eddie. A 2 ton orange and white tandom. Lots of exciting things happened today! One was that I got rid of my old farmers tan and now have a NEW farmers tan!! We got to see and pet a wild baby fawn that was hiding in the wheat. I taught Chelsie how to drive Fast Eddie. No comments on how that went. Chel and I sat on top of the grain cart and had a young group singing. We gazed at the stars and played Queen of the grain cart. Obviously you know who won. Around 10:30, dad, mom, chel and I were walking down a deserted dirt road in the middle of nowhere surrounded by vaccant wheat fields with only combine's in the distance as our lights. We heard a loud rustling in the ditch and so we creeped up on the thing. We couldn't figure out what it was and we could only see this dark thing moving around on the road. Finally we became brave and reached down to find a toad beneath our grasp. Kinda disappointing. We had hoped for a more exciting catch. Now I'm clean and headed to bed! I'm going to take some pictures of Fast Eddie and other things! So stay tuned!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am glad wheat harvest is going good down in umm...no where(I mean Kiowa). It sounds like your family sure has more fun harvesting than my family. :) I enjoy it though! Hopefully I will be able to help harvest wheat too. Nothing is more fun than harvesting beautiful Kansas fields of wheat.

-Brandon-