Tuesday, July 09, 2013

5th Anniversary


2009 Collegiate Peaks
2010 Gunnison National Forest
2011 Gunnison National Forest
2012 Bern, KS
2013 Flat Tops Wilderness
Last weekend marked Aaron, Jake, and I's 5th Anniversary for getting together over 4th of July weekend.  It's always a great weekend for spiritual challenging, beautiful creation, great camping food, and long exhausting hikes : )  We had lots of rain.  One night, Slate kind of freaked out outside of our tent, which freaked Jake out inside our tent.  When the lightning show and rain came, Jake sat up and turned the flashlight on literally every 5 minutes to check if there were leaks and then would make comments like, "I don't think we should have put our tent here, I think we're going to get washed away" or "I really think we should move our tent."  I thought we were going to either get eaten by a cougar, washed away because we camped to close to a stream, or struck by lightning.  You would never have known though as through all that, Jake said I just laid still and kept saying, "turn the light off."

The boys were very gracious to lower the level of intensity they had for hiking this year, Maria is 7 months pregnant!  She is such a trooper!  They still got their intense hike when a random campsite host led them off a trail and they had to bushwhack a 3,000 ft vertical.  We all hiked Devil's Causeway trail, about 10 miles, and it got pretty long. Beautiful, but we were all ready to be done by the end.  The Flat Tops Wilderness is phenomenal and to add to the beauty, it was prime wildflower season.  The wilderness area is off the beat and trail enough that you don't have to worry about big crowds of people.  It's a great place to "Be still and know that I am God." Psalm 46:10








 


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Ha!! I got a good chuckle from the tent convo!