When I say I am headed home for the weekend, it is confusing to both my co-workers and husband alike. I've only lived in Aurora 5 years this coming June so it is hard to refrain from thinking of 13153 SE Black Kettle Rd, Hazelton, KS as home. Jake and I wanted to go back 'home' 2 weekends ago, but 10 inches of snow kept us in good ole CO shoveling/plowing. I think it was providence though as Friday was a pretty dead day at work for Jake, so we could take off early afternoon and there ended up being beautiful weather in KS.

Mom worked Saturday morning and Dad, Jake, and I worked at the shop. Dad and Jake worked on manly things and as for me, I followed directions and assembled a rather LARGE birdhouse. My Grandpa Joe bought it to replace an old one that had been in place for 30 years. When the old one came down, I realized that it was actually bigger than the one he had bought. They have Purple Martins that nest in it, which apparently like to be high off the ground, so the pole is probably 30 ft long! I actually just checked a website to see what the norm is for those type of bird houses to see if I was exaggerating as I am bad with judging height. It says the houses can be 10-20 ft.
http://purplemartin.org/main/mgt.html So a minor exaggeration. My Gpa was thrilled, so much that the only thing he could do was smile, stare at it, and try to pay us : )
 |
| The finished product. |
 |
| How to get the old one down? |
 |
| Obviously they found a way. |
That afternoon when mom got off work, Jake and Dad kept working on the blowers from the grain bin and Mom and I went on a 'walk' through the woods. When I say 'walk,' I mean Mom driving her Kubota and me jogging
(because I was lacking minutes for Walk Colorado) along beside. It really was a beautiful Spring day.
 |
| Slate enjoying the very low frog pond. What a nasty tongue. |
 |
| First evidence of Spring in this incredibly dry area. |
We spent most of the time up at Ralph's, which is a property my parents bought from Ralph, a landlord that Dad farmed for potentially my entire life. Ralph came to all of our ballgames growing up, and was even mistaken as my dad sometimes, even though he was probably 25 years older than my mom : ) Ralph's wife Alvera was kind of a hoarder, although she hoarded usable stuff...in bulk. Last fall sometime, my parents drove a trailer full of glass mason jars and old beer pints out to Aurora. This time, we stalked up on more beer bottles for Kev and Jake's micro-brewery. Kerry and I are NOT going to be responsible for sanitizing these.
Saturday night was clear so we got to sit outside and converse under the stars. Sunday was great catching up with church family and then the drive back was...long : ) We were very ready to get home, but also really enjoyed our time 'home.'
1 comment:
Great Post!
AP
Post a Comment