Thursday, December 27, 2012

Christmas Adentures

Friday night Jake helped Lanette move and I was able to get my list accomplished.  We slept in Saturday morning and then left for Kansas. It was a great day for traveling..and also great knowing we'd be coming home to a clean house : )  The simple joys of life. Slate is always psycho before and after being in the car, but when he's inside, he does really well.  I can't quite remember what he is looking at here, but I think it was a trailer full of pigs that we smelled when we were stopped for a jake break.




It was great getting to be home.  It's a lot easier and doesn't take as long to catch up with mom and dad when my sisters aren't around.  It was the first time we had been home since Chel got married and moved to Oregon.  Not as strange as I thought it was going to be.  We usually spend a lot of time around the dinner table, and this time was no different. Sunday evening we spent some time with Dr. Shrock.  Jake took over his home brew and then Dr. Shrock started pulling out bottle after bottle of new types of beer.  Apparently since the oil boom, the local liquor store has brought in a lot more variety than the ole coors and pabst.. : ) It became a beer sampling evening! 




Snow was put back in the forecast for Denver so we had to change quite a few plans and head back Monday morning.  That was disappointing.  Jake ended up spending Christmas morning plowing snow.  Afterwards we tried out our cross-country ski's in the park next to Mike & Deb's/Dan & Tess' house and then spent the rest of the evening with family and Joe & Lorraine.  We tried a new taffy pulling recipe that didn't turn out terrible, but still isn't quite what my Gma Mildred's was.  She is losing her memory and no one thought of having her write the recipe down sooner.  So we have been experimenting with lots of different recipe's.  Wednesday Jake and I went cross-country skiing by the Henderson Mine on the Butler Gulch trail.  Not a good choice of trail for beginning of the season...LOTS of uphill! I was beat and ended up complaining enough to make Jake let us turn around ; )



It was a beautiful day though and we really enjoyed the peace and stillness on the trail.  The downhill was a little nerve racking at first, but after a couple wipe outs we got the hang of it.  On our way down we noticed blood droplets in the snow.  After a while we realized it was from Slate.  Not sure what he did but he had quite the cut on his back leg.  We got to play doctor when we arrived home.  Jake also suggested we go to Les Miserable last night.  I was excited because I love the musical but afterwards he admitted he didn't realize it was all singing or he wouldn't have suggested!  I had wondered...as he intensely dislikes musicals...but wasn't going to shoot it down.  It has been a wonderful few days off!  Today I am back to work and then Mark will come over this evening.  We got him a dog movie called Marley and me so we plan to have popcorn and set up the projector for him to watch it...which he is VERY excited about : )

No comments: