Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Wasting Away our World

Yesterday on my way home I was driving behind a semi with my windows down. It was DISGUSTING and I could not figure out why it smelled so nasty until I passed it and realized it was a trash semi. A trash semi carrying thousands of pounds of compacted waste from the Wichita area down to the middle of nowhere KS where they dump it in the ground. On my way back to Manhattan this morning in a 20 minute stretch I met 10 trucks fully loaded. The trucks run all day carrying around 1700 tons to dump daily. Read here

Because we donʼt have an option of being organic in EVERYTHING we do, we have to produce waste. What are we doing with that waste? I found some very interesting articles about:
- 1100 tons of electronic waste being dumped daily, things that work, people just upgrading
- 11,000 tons of waste daily dumped from just Las Vegas area
- 240 million tons of waste daily

How often do you take the trash to the dumpster? What is in that trash can? ALL of that if you live in town goes into our ground. Recycling is the third R of the three Rʼs: Reduce, Reuse, Recycle. Recycling means taking a product or material at the end of its useful life and turning it into a usable raw material to make another product. Think about it.

REALLY care and want to know more? Read this


My soap box for today : )

http://earth911.org/

1 comment:

Joel and Steph said...

I "feel" like... maybe I've read this somewhere before??? ;)