Monday, September 26, 2005
Learning from the Aged
I spent this past weekend with 2 amazing couples! Both were over the age of 70 and one happened to be my grandparents! It is so hard to explain in words the amazing conversation you can have with older people that have BEEN there! Friday night I got to ride the combine with my grandpa! LOVE IT, LOVE IT, LOVE IT! It was just awesome to hear the crack in a 75 year old man's voice when talking about how much he loves God and why the church is so special to him! Lots and LOTS of spiritual conversations this weekend that I know made an impact on how I am as a person. I left for school wanting to just step back evaluate and change my life more to where God wants it. I was talking to a very dear friend from Kiowa this weekend in which she made the statement that her preacher asked her if she died where would she go. I was shocked when she said she told him hell. How could a wonderful christian like her that is sweet to everyone go to hell? She said she knew she had things to take care of that she won't or I should say hasn't yet. Where would I go? Am I hiding behind my status and thinking that because I have been cleansed by our saviour that I don't need to take care of things anymore? I guess the biggest thing I took away from the weekend was how much I need Jesus Christ. It's not that it wasn't important before or anything like that, I just came away just loving Him more and more! The quesiton was posed to me, "Where would you be without church?" Besides the fact still out there in the world sinning like crazy wasn't exactly what they meant I found out. They wondered if they took the church away would I still have my relationship with Christ? Do I do things because of church...or Christ? My train of thought has been snapped but I guess I just came away from this weekend really wanting to better myself according to what God wants. And maybe someday be a jolly old lady that has been through things solely by the grace of God!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Ya know, I have learned through the years that my grandparents and parents are much wiser (specially in the ways of our Lord) and much more mentally nimble (I am yet to see Dad stumped) then I am.
I can only hope that should I live to see the years go by as they have that when asked, I too can display some wisdom. Sadly, thus far I don't seem to have gained much.
Just the thought of a forlorn brother.
very thought provoking, tifani! i actually have been thinking about the whole where would i be without the church alot lately. sometimes it IS easy to let your status as a member of the AC church give you security...but our relationship with God is THE most important thing...ALWAYS!
loved your post! sounds like a good weekend. :)
p.s. can you e-mail me your address so that i can send you the pictures from ft. scott? :) thanks! cherylmanz@bright.net is my e-mail addy. :)
Post a Comment