Thursday, February 27, 2014

A lot of work...

...with little result and a lot of ranting.

Singing Hills took part in a career fair put on by an association we are a part of, the Associated Landscape Contractors of Colorado.  We signed up to help support their first endeavor at a career fair but also to hopefully hire for some needed employees.  2 to 3 laborers, 2 foreman, and an irrigation tech.  As the HR Lady, recruitment is a high priority of mine that is becoming extremely difficult and very frustrating due to our current culture.  This culture being one that shames manual labor and encourages entitlement.  I understand there are exceptions.  Praise God for farm kids ; )  My recent social media, newspapers, or craigslist job advertisements have proven to be utter failures. Such as recruiting for 8 laborer positions a month ago.  I received 20 applications, 2 candidates actually came to their scheduled interviews and 0 still work for us.  So needless to say, I was all for trying out an industry related career fair.

We went to work to make our booth eye catching, informative, and manned with competent orators/interviewers. I won't go in to all the gory details, but lets just say, there was a good amount of prep.



Our doors turned out really cool.  If anyone wants us to duplicate this look, we found this color of paint for a dollar and have pretty much the entire can left.  Jake became highly skilled at sanding to get this old beat up look and would gladly help you.  As far as helping our booth stand out besides our "Doors of Opportunity", how else better to remember us than to be given a hummingbird cookie (our mascot)!  This bright idea while well intended, was overkill.  We made and decorated 120 cookies...

We had to make our own cutter.
Our small helper, who unsurprisingly ate more than helped.

...and gave away probably 20.  Not because we were stingy with the cookies, but because:

NO ONE CAME TO THE CAREER FAIR!

I realize that I just told a half truth, but seriously, my team and I talked to ~25 people between the 4 of us in a 7 hour period.  1/3 didn't want to work for us because our office was to far away from where they lived, 1/3 were people only looking for part-time work, and the other 1/3 were not looking for a job in the areas we need employees.  This career fair was highly profiled on the news channels, The Denver Post, and every work force agency in Colorado.  Yet 80% of the companies that walked away from the career fair weren't able to hire employees.  Where were the people who make up the 6.8% unemployment rate for the state of Colorado?  If you decide to tell me that you can't find a job or no employers are hiring, be prepared to have your shoulders grasped between my ever tender hands and shaken until that little brain of yours wakes up and can smell the roses.  If you want a job, you can get a job.  You may have to make changes to your lifestyle, lower your standards, or change your industry, but you CAN find a job.  I know this, because I have 5 positions to fill.

Yes, I am disgusted.  

Yes, I will mail you cookies...

2 comments:

Unknown said...

258 SW Church St

Joel y Steph said...

Oh stink. I just read this and thought -- Marcos can't wait to come work for you guys!!! :)

And..... the kids want cookies. Like, yesterday. :)